Allan Anderson


YOB: 1963
Experience: Commercial Fisherman, EcoTour Operator
Regions: Otago, Cook Strait, Catlins, Foveaux Strait, Stewart Osland
Interview Location: Karitane, NZ
Interview Date: 03 November 2015
Post Date: 17 May 2017; Copyright © 2017 Allan Anderson and Steve Crawford


CRAWFORD: Ok, thanks Allan. Let’s start with your general history, with a focus on experience in and around New Zealand coastal waters. 

ANDERSON: I was born 1963 in Dunedin, and moved to Karitane here when I was four years old, because my father was going fishing. But unfortunately, he had an accident and his fishing career was pretty short. We lost him when I was five. We remained living here. And then I started on the weekends - started going out on the boats as a kid about seven years old. And yeah, pretty much started working full time on boats when I was 14; I left school at 14 and went fishing, mainly at Karitane. Fished out of Karitane for a few years, and the guys I was fishing with told me to ‘piss off’ basically. “Go and do some other things other places.” So, I went and did a nautical studies program in 1979, 1980 in Nelson. When I was there, I got the opportunity to go on lots of different fishing vessels and fished different places all around New Zealand as part of the program. It was a six-month course. So that was quite interesting. Different boats, different fisheries. And then I came back from that, and went fishing for a long bit with the same boat out of Karitane, and then he told me to piss off again and I went and fished out of Bluff. Then I went deep water and fished deep water. And then I came back and fished for him again. Fished another 13 years. And then I bought my own boat after that, and started fishing my own boats. And I’ve been fishing my own boats ever since. So, pretty much the only thing I’ve ever done is fishing. Nothing else. 

CRAWFORD: Let’s go back to you as a young guy. When did you first start spending a significant amount of time on the water? Even if it was before fishing?

ANDERSON: It was the first day I discovered it. I’d been living here in the house - but my mum kept me away, kept us kids away, from the water because we were only about five or six years old. Didn’t even know the water existed there. I’d lived just down the road here, and I watched these kids walk that way, and all we would do is go to the shop and that was it. And then the first time she took us down to the beach and we climbed underneath the wharf, and caught crabs, and all the rest of it - that was it. So, that was pretty young and then I started.

CRAWFORD: Roughly what? Five years old?

ANDERSON: Yeah, I was going to school - five or six. And the very next day, after we’d gone to the water, we took the day off school. Took a big cup down there, and filled it up with crabs, and dragged it down to the school about 2 o’clock in the afternoon. Show and tell, so that was my first day. Really, we just mucked around in it because it was so close.

CRAWFORD: A daily thing almost?

ANDERSON: It was. Well, as we grew up, because we lost dad and that, we were pretty poor. Four kids - so the estuary and the river became our food basket. That’s how we regularly got fish and ate it. We were there all the time, doing that and hanging round the wharf with all the fishing boats coming in - we took rides on the boats up to the moorings and stuff like that, when we were kids. And we started going fishing on them in the weekends. By about the age of seven, I was going pretty much most weekends on the boat, and spent most of my holidays on the boats.

CRAWFORD: Specifically fishing boats?

ANDERSON: Yep. The small fishing boats out of Karitane, here. Catching Crayfish and Blue Cod and setnetting and all sorts of things. 

CRAWFORD: 20 footers?

ANDERSON: Yeah, not big boats. Up to about 25 footers, 30 footers. 

CRAWFORD: That’s an important thing you said - that you depended on what was coming out of the ocean.

ANDERSON: Well yeah, we did. We ate a lot of Pāua and Flounder from out of the river. But it was very easy to get a feed. The local Māori at the time, they’d go on about the Pāuas, but all the Māori I knew that were Pāuaing down here, they only ate the Yellow Foot Pauas. They used to say, “You white boys eat the Black Foot ones.” And there was plenty of them, so there was never a problem. 

CRAWFORD: At what point in time did you start commercially harvesting?

ANDERSON: Personally, me myself? I think in 1977, I’ve got records for having a commercial row-boat. I registered a row-boat. I was 14 or something like that. I was at school. We used to go out paddle crabbing out here in the bay with pots. Catch crab and Yellow-Eye Mullet. We used to catch a lot of Yellow-Eye Mullet. And setnetting for other species like Moki.

CRAWFORD: Crab potting and setnetting?

ANDERSON: Yeah, so we did that at school. And eeling. A lot of eeling. And Pāua diving. This is how we got all the pocket money.

CRAWFORD: Paua diving?

ANDERSON: Just snorkel. 

CRAWFORD: Free-diving?

ANDERSON: Yeah free-diving. 

CRAWFORD: Was that from 18 years old, or so?

ANDERSON: Before that. We’re doing all that before we even had cars and things. 

CRAWFORD: And that was all Karitane?

ANDERSON: Yeah, Karitane and Waikouaiti.

CRAWFORD: When did you start moving out further down the coast or offshore?

ANDERSON: 1979, the start of that year. I went to Nelson in 1979 and took on this fishing cadet course. I was only about 16 or something like that at the time - 15 or 16. And that was the first time I went away from home.

CRAWFORD: Was that for the summer? You went up there?

ANDERSON: Yes. I was up there for just over six months doing this course. And you would spend half the time at sea, and the other half in the classroom. You would have a block where you go away for two weeks, and then you would come back to the classroom for two weeks. And each time you went away on a boat, they would try and make it a different type of fishery - so you were experiencing different types of fisheries. In that particular time, I did everything from over the West Coast here, went trawling for Hoki down here. And on that particular Hoki trip we caught 43 Bluefin Tuna off the back of the night when we were laid up. And that was a pretty big haul at the time. We didn’t know how to handle it, so we didn’t get paid much. 

CRAWFORD: Were you sailing out of Greymouth

ANDERSON: No, we came out of Nelson. We were fishing down here for the Hoki. That was all a foreign fishing fleet. Another trip we went purse seining. We went [purse seining] for Kahawai and Mackerel and stuff. All around through this area here Cook Strait area and Castlepoint. And then another trip we did, we went trawling down off Banks Peninsula here for, it was mainly Barracouta and bits and pieces on an old fishing boat called the Boston Sea Fire.  And then I did another trip on the Boston Sea Fire, it was rigged up for Squid fishing. And it was a government project for research, and we fished several nights all the way down here, and we went right down to the Auckland Islands. Fished down there.

CRAWFORD: This was all in one six-month period?

ANDERSON: Yeah, yeah. 

CRAWFORD: I mean, it’s in half of that because you were doing half in class, and then doing all of this fishing for the next three months.

ANDERSON: Yeah, yeah.  And then I went on a boat called the Whitby, Hoki fishing down the West Coast here. It was quite a big boat.

CRAWFORD: When you were purse seining, what were you fishing for?

ANDERSON: Well, the little boat I went on was the Perimai, and that just chased Kahawai and Mackerel, basically. And then the Western Pacific I went on, we never actually had a shot, we never got to shoot the gear at all, but it would chase the Tuna. It was a bigger boat, a lot bigger.

CRAWFORD: So, purse seining for Tuna offshore?

ANDERSON: Yeah, but we never got out of that small area there. It was just a short little trip.

CRAWFORD: After the course, did you go someplace else or did you come back to Karitane?

ANDERSON: Came back to Karitane. 

CRAWFORD: And then you were full-time fishing?

ANDERSON: Yeah. I wasn’t full-time prior to that, because I left school. I’d done a little bit for maybe a year fishing and then the fishing company and the boss of the boat, they sent me away to do the course - paid for it and everything.

CRAWFORD: Just to make sure that you knew something about what you were getting into?

ANDERSON: Yeah, yeah. So, I went away and did that course and came back and I fished on that same boat for … it must have been until 1982 it was. Until the middle of 82. And then I left again and went down to do a relieving trip on a boat. 

CRAWFORD: When you came back to fish out of Karitane, what was the name of the boat that you were on?


CRAWFORD: And what type of fishing were you doing off that boat?

ANDERSON: Crayfishing and trawling, setnetting, longlining.

CRAWFORD: The works?


CRAWFORD: In what region then?

ANDERSON: Oh, just out of Dunedin. Just out off here. Local.

CRAWFORD: Between here and Otago Peninsula?

ANDERSON: Well, more sort of this way North. Yeah. Just Karitane. We never really went any more than sort of 20 nautical miles from port. 

CRAWFORD: And then what?

ANDERSON: I had a friend that was on a boat in Bluff. And they were short of crew so he rings up and I go “Yeah, I’ll come down.” So I went down and did a trip out of Bluff, round the backside of Stewart Island. Trawling.

CRAWFORD: Trawling for what?

ANDERSON: Mainly Stargazer. Or Boofs. The guy I worked with, he was like trawling these big canyons down there, and he was like the first guy ever to get in there and do it. He was a bit of a legend in himself. 

CRAWFORD: Who was that?

ANDERSON: Allan Dunford. On a boat called the Pania. And he was a very, very clever guy, because there was no GPS’s and stuff and it was towing pinnacles.

CRAWFORD: Was this 1984, 1985?

ANDERSON: No, this is 82, 83. So we were fishing down there on that boat the Pania, and then the guy - the owner of the Lady Ann - he says “Oh you know, there’s not much going on here. If there’s a job, stay there and keep doing that for a bit,” you know? So, I stayed there on a vessel, and worked out of Bluff for about six months, eight months out of there, and then the boat left Bluff and it fished up the East Coast of New Zealand here, and then we went right round to the West Coast and we Tuna fished around there. 

CRAWFORD: You stayed on the boat, fishing the whole way?

ANDERSON: Pretty much, yeah. I was living in Dunedin at the time, travelling to Bluff. Doing each trip, we’d go out for five or six days. Come home for a few days, go. But then when we left Bluff, we’d pretty much stay on the boat the whole entire time. Went right round the West coast and fished round there for Tuna. 

CRAWFORD: This is prior to the quotas coming in?


CRAWFORD: Because quotas obviously make a difference to …

ANDERSON: Well, all the boats are very flexible with what they fish. Basically, if one fish is not performing, you would go and do another fishery. 

CRAWFORD: In terms of moving from one region to the next, quota management, as I understood it, was associated with a particular region too, right?

ANDERSON: As well. 

And you guys fished all the way from Southland all the way up right through the Cook Strait, and then over here [West Coast]?

ANDERSON: Yeah, we trawled everywhere. We had 600 case shots of Red Cod off here, off Akaroa. We had shots at Snapper and that in the Tasman Bay here. We did trawl on the West Coast. Yeah, we trawled all the way down here as well. But the main reason we were there was not to trawl, but to catch Tuna. So it was trolling off lures. 

CRAWFORD: Trolling as opposed trawling?


CRAWFORD: Alright. When you were out of Bluff, was it mostly on the West side of Stewart Island, or all around? 

ANDERSON: Mainly the West side. But a little bit off Ruapuke [Island] and around there at times. 

CRAWFORD: Was there anyone living on Ruapuke at the time?

ANDERSON: Yes. I think they were a family of Whitetrees. We actually had one guy, they called him the Screaming Skull.

CRAWFORD: The Screaming Skull?


CRAWFORD: That was the name of a boat?

ANDERSON: No, that was the guy. The Screaming Skull. And he came on our boat - he was a Māori fella, and he was a Muttonbirder, and he was local. And he took us on the boat. He came on our boat one time, and we took all the Muttonbirders down to the islands and things. And the boat did that every year. The year I was on it, they took them all down there, and he navigated the boat for us because he knew all the rocks.

CRAWFORD: That’s an important part of your experience too, because even though you’re not fishing, you’re taking other people … your boat’s taking other people to the Titi Islands or the Muttonbird Islands. There are the Titi Islands on the North end and there are the Titi Islands on the South end?

ANDERSON: Yeah, we were on the South. We took them all round the South. The South Cape, Port William.

CRAWFORD: That’s important too, because you’re out there doing something different in different waters, for different reasons.

ANDERSON: Yeah. I was fortunate because of the Muttonbirders, we used to take the mail to them all the time. So, I actually got to go on the some of the islands and that. Row ashore where a lot of supposedly white people weren’t allowed to be - on these islands, you know? 

CRAWFORD: But you were the mailman?

ANDERSON: Yeah. Often took mail and other supplies that we would take, because we were fishing down that way. And also, we got to dive all around Stewart Island. Heaps all round this East Coast.

CRAWFORD: Dive as in Pāua diving?

ANDERSON: No, just pleasure diving. 

CRAWFORD: Scuba diving?

ANDERSON: No, just snorkelling. 

CRAWFORD: Recreational?

ANDERSON: Recreational, yeah. 

CRAWFORD: Was that at the same time, roughly? 

ANDERSON: Well, sometimes we were parked there for a day or so, you know? So, any spare time we got, we jumped in the water. Other times we would be holed in places like Easy Harbour, or anchored in places like that, while there was stuff going on. Any chance I had, I’d put my wetsuit on and dived in the water, you know? 

CRAWFORD: Alright so, that’s when you’re working down south - then what?

ANDERSON: So that was on the Pania. Then we went fishing, Tuna fishing, over on the West Coast here. There were two boats, both of which were owned by Otakau Fisheries. One of the guys on the other boat, which is called the Marlene had to go home. So, it left a boat over there without a registered deckhand, and we had two registered deckhands on our boat. So, I jumped ship onto the Marlene. 

CRAWFORD: Then there’s a skipper and a registered deckhand on both boats?

ANDERSON: Yeah. So, I had to jump ship, move across to the other boat. They said “Well, when you go on it, this job's only available for the next three months, because things were changing.” I said “Yep, that’s all cool. I’ll just do three months here.” So I jumped on it, finished off the Tuna season, and then we worked our way back - trawled all sort of down along here.

CRAWFORD: Southern Fiordland?

ANDERSON: Yeah, Southern Fiordland, Big Bay and all those sorts of places. Trawled all the way down here. And then we trawled all through you know this side of Stewart Island. We trawled all the way through here, and back to Bluff. And then I got off the boat, and that was about the middle of 1983, and I got off the boat there. And then I came back to Port Chalmers, and I jumped on the Otago Buccaneer, which was a deepsea trawler that had just been bought from the UK. There were two of them, to start the deepwater fishery in New Zealand, which was just sort of starting, pioneering at the time. It was for Orange Roughy. I jumped on that as a deckhand, because I had my deckhand certificate and stuff. And then we went away, and I worked six months on that boat. We fished for Orange Roughy in the Chathams. We did two trips here, where we caught Orange Roughy. 

CRAWFORD: And this was deepwater trawling?

ANDERSON: Yeah. Really, really deep.

CRAWFORD: Like how deep?

ANDERSON: 1000 metres plus.

CRAWFORD: This was just at the beginning of the deepwater trawling in New Zealand?

ANDERSON: Well, up at the very start. Right at the very start of it. There were plenty of foreigners doing it, but there were no serious Kiwi boats doing it at the time. We were the very first serious deepwater Kiwi boat. And I think they had only done two or three trips here. We were out for three weeks at a time, and we’d fill the boat up, 860 tonnes of processed fish. 

CRAWFORD: Onboard processing?

ANDERSON: Yeah. There was more fish there than you could process. Most of the time you just have one trawl for a couple of minutes, and you would have 30 to 50 tonne of Orange Roughy. And then sit around, process it, and then you’d have another trawl. And then you’d sit around, and process it - that’s how you would do it. The quickest they could fill up was three weeks. They couldn’t fill up any sooner, because they couldn’t process it any quicker. We did two trips to there, and then we ran out of quota. The next trip we went out to the Challenger Plateau, which is way out here somewhere. It’s probably off the map here; it's about 200 nautical miles northwest of here. 

CRAWFORD: Roughly when was this?

ANDERSON: 1983, 84. 

CRAWFORD: You did a lot of fishing, in a lot of different places, in a short period of time. 

ANDERSON: Yeah. We came back from that trip, filled up, went back to Dunedin. And then the next trip was a research trip for MPI [Ministry of Primary Industries]. We went all the way up through here, the Louisville Ridge. Looking for Orange Roughy. 

CRAWFORD: It was exploratory fishing?

ANDERSON: Yeah. We did that, then we went up the Ridge which runs all the way up to Tonga. So we fished pretty much. We didn’t get right up to Tonga, but we were in the Tropics. We were in pretty good weather where we were fishing. But that was a 90-day trip. And that did it. I was over deep-water fishing after 90 days. 

CRAWFORD: That was not for you?

ANDERSON: No. Not when you’re 21 years old, and got a girlfriend at home who’s giving Dear John bloody phone calls. So that was it, I come off.

CRAWFORD: When you came home, that was 1984? 

ANDERSON: Yeah. I come back home, back to the Lady Ann again. And then I stayed on the boat for 13 years.

CRAWFORD: As a deckhand?

ANDERSON: And skipper. 

CRAWFORD: You started out as a deckhand, and then you took over or when you came back - you took over?

ANDERSON: I pretty much took over when I came back. 

CRAWFORD: For how many years?

ANDERSON: 13 years. 

CRAWFORD: During which you fished out of Karitane, on the Lady Ann? 


CRAWFORD: And what range now were you fishing?

ANDERSON: Oh, we used to go down a bit further south. We used to go down of Taieri Mouth a lot. Fished down there, and even went as far as the Nuggets on that boat - it was only a wee 40-footer. But, we definitely, after my experiences in other places, definitely broadened. Helped me to broaden where we fished. 

CRAWFORD: New places, new things?

ANDERSON: Yeah, we definitely changed things up. Prior to when I was away, the boat was mainly a crayfishing boat, and it would mainly do a bit of Blue Codding and setnetting over the seasons, you know?

CRAWFORD: Crayfishing as in pots?

ANDERSON: Yeah. We never really used to fish that hard in the Summer. When I came on the boat I fished it hard, started fishing it hard, went fishing all through the year, you know? Because there were no quotas, so you could go and catch what you want. Yeah, we started seriously fishing for a lot of other species.

CRAWFORD: South to the Nuggets? How far north?

ANDERSON: Oamaru was as far as we would go occasionally, you know? Trawling, potting for Blue Cod, deepwater potting for Ling, setnetting, longlining and crayfishing. We’d do all of them. 

CRAWFORD: Then what?

ANDERSON: Then I had an accident on the boat, quite a serious accident, and I thought my fishing career was finished. Because I was laid up for, I was in hospital, for quite a long time. And yeah, it was 18 months before I went back on the boat after the accident.

CRAWFORD: There’s a before and after of the accident, obviously. That's a distinct break.

ANDERSON: It is. That’s when I stopped fishing on the Lady Ann. And then I decided at that stage that I would buy myself a boat. So I did, and I went fishing, but it still wasn’t right. So I went back to hospital and had another operation, and sort of laid up the boat for a while. And then I got back on it, and yeah - started fishing for myself. 

CRAWFORD: When was that - when you started again?

ANDERSON: In the 1990s. 

CRAWFORD: What was the name of the boat? 


CRAWFORD: And what were you were fishing?

ANDERSON: I was trawling, mainly just Karitane. 

CRAWFORD: Because it’s close to home?


CRAWFORD: And fishing for what?

ANDERSON: Soles. Gurnard, Tarakihi, Red Cod, Elephant Fish.

CRAWFORD: That was mid to late 90s. Trawling pretty much exclusively at this point?

ANDERSON: No, I was also crayfishing. And Blue Codding. 

CRAWFORD: How do you Crayfish? Traps or ...


CRAWFORD: Mid to late 90s - until when?

ANDERSON: Yeah, I can’t really remember. My wife can probably remember. I must have had that boat about six or seven years, I suppose. And then we bought a fish shop as well. So, we had a trawler and then we supplied all of our own fish to our fish shop and fish and chips.

CRAWFORD: Everything up to the point you had been selling to a wholesaler?

ANDERSON: That’s right, yeah. We were getting really poor money for our fish. And the companies ... there was a lot of fish around, and the companies were picky about what they would take.

CRAWFORD: When they would take it? And how much they would take?

ANDERSON: Yeah. It was just pretty tough. We were disappointed with the way it was going, so we started a fresh fish shop, a fish and chip shop. We used that as a vehicle to promote our lesser species, and all the fish that we were getting. So it was a great educational tool for the community - who had never even eaten such fish, and so we really changed people's thoughts about what was a good fish and what was a bad fish. We handled it differently on the boat, we looked after it, and so there was a lot of fish that people would say "No way you would eat that" and all of a sudden that was their favourite fish, you know? We got people away from the traditional Blue Cod and Sole. We still sold a bit, but we sold an awful lot of other fish.

CRAWFORD: Like what, for example? What was one of the new species that really took off?


CRAWFORD: Nobody had eaten Moki before? 

ANDERSON: No. Didn’t really like it. Didn’t like the look of it.

CRAWFORD: Are we talking about locals - your neighbours, or tourists coming in?

ANDERSON: Tourists don’t eat anything. The locals, the people in the community here, the local fisherman and stuff like that - they would come up there and you know eat this stuff that they’ve never eaten before. And we cooked it, not only fry it, but we grilled it. We did all sorts of other things. At the time we were quite different, we did a lot of things that other shops had never done, and we actually did pretty well. We won the best fish and chip shop in the South Island. And the shop got quite famous, actually. And it’s what ruined it really. Because it went from a nice little small business where I was fishing two, three days a week - up to a mad business where it was, at one stage we had 13 staff working in this fish and chip shop. 

CRAWFORD: And pretty heavy pressure for you to keep the fish coming in?

ANDERSON: That’s right. And one month there, the biggest month we had, we moved 6 tonne of fish through the shop. 


ANDERSON: A lot of fish. Friday, Saturday night we used ... Friday we would get about 600 kilos of chips delivered - just for the weekend. Yeah, it was a pretty busy place. So, we had that for four years, and run a trawler.

CRAWFORD: Now we’re getting to the 2000's, I think?

ANDERSON: Yeah. Then I decided that we were just working mad hard, you know? I’d had enough of it, and the kids, and things like that. So I sold the shop, sold the Tania, and I went and bought a small boat. I bought a jet-boat called the Sea Slave.

CRAWFORD: Early 2000's?

ANDERSON: Yeah. Sold the Tania, the big trawler, and the shop - and just got myself down to this little simple jet-boat where I went fishing, because it could cross the [Karitane] bar at any time of day. I started crayfishing and Blue Codding and potting - that was mainly what we would do. A little bit of setnetting, not a lot. We did a wee bit. It was mainly a crayfishing boat. So then I fished that for quite a few years and I started paddle-crabbing. 

CRAWFORD: Who were you selling to?

ANDERSON: Back to companies, and we still supplied the shop.

CRAWFORD: The shop you had just sold?

ANDERSON: Yeah. And then we started paddle-crabbing in the summer months ...

CRAWFORD: Paddle-crabbing?

ANDERSON: Yeah potting for Paddle Crabs - we started that up.

CRAWFORD: Was the first time you really got into crabs?

ANDERSON: No, I’ve did it when I was a kid. 

CRAWFORD: No I mean, but hard - like, commercially.

ANDERSON: Yeah, yeah. It’d been tried before, but no one really succeeded in the fishery. And the market wasn’t there - it was hard to sell and all the rest of it. But when we started up, we just sort of did things different and looked at different markets. We started doing it, we could only sell 10 boxes a week. And it was just a few pots - a bit of added income.

CRAWFORD: Just a few pots because…

ANDERSON: That was all the market could take at the time. 

CRAWFORD: Right. There wasn’t a quota on this?

ANDERSON: There were quotas at this stage, yeah. 

CRAWFORD: Ok. It wasn’t a quota constraint. It was simply the market.

ANDERSON: Yeah. Not many people were buying it, you know? Then we shifted where we were selling the fish. Basically, got into the Asian market. And it just grew from there. And now it’s sensational - the demand for the crab now. So now we’re quite busy. We had that boat for quite a number of years, and then about three years ago, four years ago, we built a new boat, the Truby King.

CRAWFORD: That was 2012?

ANDERSON: I think we’re on our fourth season. 

CRAWFORD: You were still running the other boat?

ANDERSON: Yeah, we had two boats for a while. 

CRAWFORD: What was the purpose for the Truby King?

ANDERSON: Just a bigger, faster, vessel. Newer, modern, a bit safer. Wouldn’t break down.

CRAWFORD: Same fishery?

ANDERSON: Same fishery.

CRAWFORD: Same strategy, same region?

ANDERSON: Yeah. But the Truby King would travel - because it’s quite quick. We fished the Truby King as far as the Banks Peninsula for crabs. We only had one trip up there. The reason why we didn’t fish up there any more, was because there’s virtually nowhere where you can fish there. It’s all marine reserves or Mataitai.


ANDERSON: It’s all yeah, there’s nowhere we can ...

CRAWFORD: I mean the crabs are there, the fish are there?

ANDERSON: We’re just not allowed to fish it. 

CRAWFORD: Closed fishery management zones or ...

ANDERSON: Yeah, well they just overlap. The whole thing's just a no zone. But we also fished a lot down here. We’d go right down as far as Waikawa, and fish crab down there.

CRAWFORD: Ok. That’s important, but once again it’s still based out of Karitane?

ANDERSON: Yeah. But we fished out of Port Chalmers and Taieri Mouth a lot. We fished those ports. 

CRAWFORD: Right. And does that bring us up to date?

ANDERSON: Pretty much, yeah. We sold the Sea Slave and bought another boat, one from Australia, one from Tasmania, called the Naturalist. And we steamed it back from Australia, and now we’re back to two boats again. And it’s a lot bigger boat. It’s a 48 ft boat. It’s not fishing as of yet, it’s still getting re-fitted, but it will fish the East Coast of New Zealand. 

CRAWFORD: A bigger boat, but with that same type of expanded range?

ANDERSON: Yeah. But even more expanded range.

CRAWFORD: When do you figure you’re going to have that vessel sorted?

ANDERSON: Oh, hopefully next week.

Copyright © 2017 Allan Anderson and Steve Crawford